Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Check engine light on after repair but not before.?

I have a 2001 buck century, the intake manifold gasket went and I had it replaced. When I gave the car to the shop the "check engine"light was NOT on. The shop did a fine job repairing the intake gasket, however, when I picked up the car it was. I brought it up to the mechanic, who told me to come back in a week if it stayed on. It did. I went back and he told me it was some unrelated malfunction with the fuel gauge (this gauge is broke and the code is in the cars computer). The problem is there is also another code that is preventing the car from passing DEQ. It is called an "exhaust gas recirculation valve" EGR. I had it checked out by a Buick dealer I trust, they say, that the valve works but a wire between it and the power source is broken.





My question at long last is: Should I make the original shop fix it? Or, should I just eat the 200 or so bucks it will cost to have fixed right? Or, have the dealership fix it and bill the other shop?|||The EGR valve has to be removed to get the intake off to replace the gasket. The original shop broke it. Have them fix it.|||Sounds like they broke the wire while they were changing the intake manifold gasket





NO DOUBT|||It wouldn't be uncommon for a wire or connector pin to be damaged when disassembling the top of the engine. That being said, I believe it is the original repair facility's responsibility to repair the damaged wire - it shouldn't be all that difficult to pin point the open circuit.|||Sounds like it must have been broken when they were working on it. Some mechanics are really careless when taking things apart and sometimes it just happens no matter how carefull you are. If they really care about their customers they will fix it.|||I've had mechanics that worked for me that have left things unplugged after intake repairs. The original shop should fix it if they are a reputable shop!





Good Luck!





http://waz-stuff.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment